November 13, 2008

DVD UPDATES - region 2 releases

I was annoyed that Dario Argento's DVD debut of Profondo Rosso (Deep Red, 1975) from Anchor Bay, was a latter day 'Director's Cut' with English and Italian scenes mixed together - like one restoration of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. For years I'd enjoying each version separately, albeit squeezed onto VHS and differently censored. Now a Scandinavian release has both versions in the same set on two discs. Should be ideal, so I'll be getting a copy soon. Scandinavia is PAL and region 2.


I really enjoyed the 2004 Japanese girl-power comedy Kamikaze Girls (reviewed here) and am looking forward to Memories of Matsuko from the same director. Both films should be coming to the UK early in 2009, released by Third Window Films. Thanks to 24 frames per second for the news - and why not check out his newly revamped site?


Not for the faint-hearted, Wes Craven's 1972 Last House on the Left (reviewed here) has an Ultimate Edition 3-DVD set out in the UK, from Metrodome, including previously unseen scenes and a new cut. The third disc includes the excellent 2006 genre overview Going to Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film feature-length documentary (reviewed here).

Lastly, belatedly, I really like the artwork for the UK release of the 1970 Brit psycho-thriller And Soon The Darkness (reviewed here), released by Optimum Home Entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I am going to post a link to Black Hole on my horror dvd blog, Shock Room. I won't post a link to SR here, I'm not trying to advertise, just wanted to contact you. Best wishes! S.P.

    ReplyDelete